Thursday, 27 February 2014
I have also made some real progress on the 2nd Batallion as I have finished the flesh, Greatcoats, trousers boots and crossbelts on all 32 of them. Given that these models have no backpack or equipment other than a cartridge case and bayonet frog I am hopeful they will be finished soon.
Completing two units in just over two months is a real boost and reduces the lead mountain before the annual spending trip at Salute.
Tuesday, 25 February 2014
As a result I am going to 'treat' myself to a Russian 12lb artillery piece and crew instead. This will give me a bit of a break from painting infantry and will also mean that I have something for my Hussars to charge at !
By the time of Salute I will have 2 Russian Infantry 1 artillery piece completed, plus the two British Infantry Battalions and Hussar Regiment that Jim has already painted, ready for basing. I have also been working out which other packs I need to get from Wargames Foundry to round out my current Crimean Pile (3 if my calculations are right)
This should give me
Infantry (24 figures/battalion)
1 x Grenadier Guards
2x Highland Infantry
2 x Line Infantry in Fatigue Cap
1x Line Infantry in Shako
Cavalry. (12 figures/Regiment)
1 x Hussar
2 x 9lb Foot Artillery
1 x 6lb Royal Horse Artillery
Infantry (32 figures/battalion)
4 x Infantry
1 x Jager (24 figures)
2 x 12lb Foot Artillery
I will need to get some Russian Cavalry to even things out. At the moment I am thinking Dragoons rather than Cossacks, much will depend on what takes my fancy when I buy them.
This will keep me gainfully employed for the rest of the year and is almost balanced.
Sunday, 16 February 2014
My North Star 'lances' have arrived and I am in a bit of a quandry. Each lance is 100mm long, which is clearly far too long to act as a standard pole.
The question is how long/short should they be and should I have the flag bearer 'resting' the standard on the ground. Unlike my 10mm Pendraken SYW figures these 28mm Foundry figures came without standard poles.
I think I am going to have to cut some of the lances to various lengths and then see what looks right. I imagine I will have to do.the same when I paint my 17th Lancers as I will use the same lances for them.
The other issue is what colour do I paint the standard pole as I have very little information on this. Unless I discover otherwise in the next few days I will go down the line of using Russian Napoleonic colouring for both standard poles and artillery pieces.
Thursday, 13 February 2014
This was very much a test run to see if the colours and washes looked OK and I am happy with the result. The fact this is the 3rd Battalion is indicated by the light blue band around the top of the fatigue cap.
Already on the painting table are another 32 figures which will make up the 2nd Battalion. At the moment they are primed and are being 'face painted'.