Tuesday 7 May 2013

Scarecrows

I have finished varnishing some of the Gripping Beast Scarecrows. I like these for a couple of reasons not least of which is the fact that they are 'faceless'. It seems that no matter how much I try, my 28mm figures all seem to have a mad 'amphetamine induced' stare.  As these scarecrows just have hessian  bags full of straw for for their heads, there is no need to go through the aggravation of painting eyes.


I apologise for the quality of the image, as I  still getting used to this iPad malarky.

The 'crows' are for our Weird War 2 game and I will use them as a 'spoiler' when it is my turn to Umpire a game. No rules have been written yet but I am thinking that they might be 'activated' by a figure failing his 'hay fever' test. I'm also thinking that only fire and ripping them to pieces causes 'damage' and that movement is impeded if they are 'wet' as the straw becomes softer. This sort of ad hoc rule is not uncommon as we do tend to improvise and  'free style'. I accept this is not to everyone's taste and will cause ''grognards' around the web heart palpitations but, hey, I thought the idea was to have fun. Nevertheless  I will need to flesh out some basic rules, scenarios and contingencies. Something for the train journey into work them.

A quick wash of  GW Devlan Mud really seems to bring out the detail on the sculpts. Even for a painter of limited ability, such as myself,  the results look quite good. I am glad that I stocked up on the Devlan Mud and Badab Black washes before they disappeared from GW stores.  However it seems a little short sighted of GW to cease production of these washes (which were really useful,), all for the sake of renaming 'Skull White'  as something they could then slap Intellectual Property Rights on.

All that has happened is that  I've moved over toVallejo paints instead ( aside from the textured paints that I just 'had' to try!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment